Test Fees

The fees associated with bus testing are dependent on the bus category/service life under which the vehicle will be tested. The time and fee schedule are included as Exhibit B in the contract for testing.

To help manufacturers implement the mandated bus testing, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 (ISTEA) provides federal funding to pay for 80 percent of the bus testing fee to the Altoona Bus Research and Testing Center, with the remaining 20 percent paid to the Center by the entity having the vehicle tested.



Established in 1989 by the Pennsylvania Transportation Institute with funding provided by the Federal Transit Administration, the Larson Transportation Institute’s Bus Research and Testing Center tests buses for safety, structural integrity, durability, performance, maintainability, noise, emissions, energy economy, and fuel economy. Based primarily in Altoona, Pennsylvania, the Center also has a facility located at the Larson Transportation Institute Test Track in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania.  

Bus Research and Testing Center

2237 Plank Road

Duncansville, PA 16635

Phone: 814-695-3404

Fax: 814-695-4069